Monday, July 11, 2011

Joan always said to look down at my feet and work my way out ...

...as opposed to freezing and stressing over where to begin.  This blog is the mental acceptance of Joan's wisdom.  Rather than spending significant time considering what to write about...where to start...is the layout OK...do I like the colors...the fonts...and maybe I should wait until I have more time...and I really should be writing the essay for my very bad class...spin cycle on....I am going to write this....post number one.  Joan's advice echoed that of May Sarton who says, "Begin here."  And I will...

Here is in the midst of summer in a charming old house without central air.  The temperature may near 100 today; which means it will be one of the hopefully less than 10 days a year that I am not fond of my home.  I will survive.  The fans will be whirring and I am going to remember to count my blessings:  no complaining about the heat except perhaps on the walk from the parking lot to my class this afternoon.

Here is in a full house:  the inhabitants are my husband of very, very nearly 28 years who wishes to be "off the grid," but is not, and our four children who range in age from 16 to 25.  It is a full house and the driveway looks like a parking lot most nights.  It is not anything I ever imagined, but in the interest of honesty, I have never been very good at picturing the next things.

Now...I will drink more coffee and tell  myself that the delicious dark hot liquid will help me not only be awake and so happy, but it will also keep my internal temperature nearer to the actual air temperature and perhaps I will not notice the extreme heat quite as intensely.  That's the plan...and I with that....ta-da!  One blog entry!

1 comment:

  1. Look down at my feet and work my way out? That is fantastic advice! I was just sitting here, in King's Library, trying to finish the preparation for what will be the last essay of my last neuroscience course of undergrad! Which got me to thinking, I wonder where I'll go to medical school, and if I should do the duel MD/PhD, and where that would land me for a residency, and what are the odds of me meeting Derrik Shepherd, when the only neuroscience professors I've had have been middle aged men (one Hungarian!) and then back to thinking I should probably continue this outline... talk about snowballing. But I liked the advice FGM... it provided a very nice diversion. Now I am back to the world of neurotransmitters and trying to answer the almost impossible question: Why do people get addicted?

    ReplyDelete